Thursday, April 16, 2009

Dutch Oven?

The school year is almost over, and I have a couple of goals I want to work on this summer.
One of those goals is to learn how to cook with a Dutch Oven.
If you scroll down and read my food storage post, this post will make a lot more sense.
I read the other day that if a person has no access to an electrical cooking element, you can cook virtually ANYTHING with a Dutch Oven.
So...I'm gonna learn how to do it.
I consider myself an okay cook, but I have to admit, I'm nervous about this one.
So...if you have any great suggestions or even better....recipes....I would LOVE to hear from you.
I also have to say that Dutch Oven cooking reminds me of 2 things:
1. When I was growing up, my family used to venture down to Lake Powell every year, and it was kind of a "tradition" to cook Dutch Oven style one night. I loved it. My dad had a great "Cowboy Stew" recipe that was really yummy. He just kind of threw a lot of yummy stuff in and let it brew. Honestly, there's nothing like sitting on the beach in Lake Powell as the sun is setting eating a yummy Dutch Oven dinner. It's something I will always remember.
2. Before my dear Grandma Staples passed away, my dad would arrange a day where he would cook a Dutch Oven meal out on the side of my grandma's house. We only did it a few times, but whenever I think of Dutch Oven cooking...I think of my grandma...and I can't tell you how much I miss her. I cry whenever I think about her not being here. But, I'm SO thankful for all of the great memories I have of her, and Dutch Oven cooking on the side of her house is definitely one of them.
So, I'm gonna post a recipe that I'm gonna try first. I would like to add to my collection, so please either email me the recipe at bkelly@weber.edu or post it here.
Beef Pot Roast in a Dutch Oven:
3 lb rump roast or pot roast
3 Tbsp vegetable oil
3 potatoes, peeled and halved
3 carrots, cut into 2' pieces
2 onions, halved1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1/2 cup water
Brown roast in oven on all sides in oil.Remove meat. Place half of vegetables in bottom of oven.Return meat to oven and season with salt and pepper.Add remaining vegetables and water. Cover and cook at 300 degrees for 3-5 hours depending on how well done you like it.

3 comments:

Mark & Stacie said...

My in-law's cook in their dutch oven quite abit. I will get you some recipes from them. We have had a dutch oven for about 8 years and I have never once cooked in it. Pretty sad huh!

The Kelly's said...

I have the best chicken enchilada recipe. I'll have to give you a copy when you come down.

Nate and Nicole said...

Ahhhhh.... Lake Powell.

Art Show

Tonight was Cooper and Connor's Art Show which displayed all the art work they completed this summer during Rachel Waters' art class. They started about 5 weeks ago and completed a different art project every week. Tonight, family got to come and see their projects on display. It was so fun. Cooper and Connor are very artistic and love to create. Rachel, their art teacher, was awesome. She came up with the cutest projects and helped ignite their creativity. It was a great experience and I'm so proud of their great work!!