Saturday, April 11, 2009

Food Storage

Last year I decided to work REALLY hard at getting my family's one-year food storage supply. It was A LOT of work, and needless to say.... A LOT of money. The Sister in our ward over Emergency Prepardness actually called me "her best customer". I was quite pleased at the title I have to say. I have spent a lot of time and money in other stores and was never given such a great title, so I wear that one with pride!
About a month ago, I was in my basement taking in all of the boxes of canned goods. It REALLY is a beautiful sight. As I was staring at the buckets of wheat, rice, beans and plenty of other goodies, the thought came to my mind....if there is a catastrophe, my little family just might be okay.
So then that got me thinking EVEN more, and I got a little arrogant. As I was staring at the shelves of food, I thought...if we ever have to use this, I bet there will be people who will want to break into my house and steal my food because I hate to brag, I have set up a pretty nice shop.
Which got me thinking EVEN MORE....maybe I should buy a GUN! (Temporary Insanity)
But, I had a SERIOUS wake-up call the other night, and I am thankful for a gracious Heavenly Father who loves me and is continually humbling and teaching me.
I was at Costco and bought the book I Dare You To Eat It: Designing Food Storage You Would Actually Want to Eat by Liesa Card. Chapter 1 is titled: Seeing Food Storage as Part of God's Plan. and I read this:
"The prophet's plan for food storage is today-as it has always been-a plan for everyone. As the First Presidency recently noted 'prepare every needful thing', so that should adversity come, we may care for ourselves and our neighbors and support bishops as they care for others.' If our bishops send out a call for food, who will be prepared to serve? Who will be ready to accept that calling? Ultimately, I believe food storage is about love-love for the Savior, love for the prophet, love for our families, and love for our neighbors. Perhaps there is an eternal responsibility in sharing food and sharing the gospel."
And just like that....SMACK.....it all made sense.
So...the dear sister in my ward who considers me "her best customer" is gonna be seeing a lot more of me cause I'm heading back to the cannery to amp up my food storage so I can have enough to share with others because I have a testimony of service and sharing and loving my neighbor.
So...consider this an invitation...if there's a catastrophe (or not), you are always welcome at my house and I will do all I can to feed you and the ones you love. We'll have one ROCKIN food storage party!!

5 comments:

Richard and Michelle said...

You're funny, I love it. You're one of the most unselfish people I know.

thebarrusfamily said...

That is GOOD to know. Will you pay for my family to fly up to partake?

Tara said...

SWEET!! Now I don't have to put one together. Save a place for me, Soph, and the BHB!!

Brooke and Justin said...

Living the law of consecration sounds like it will be easy for you!

Jon & Kim said...

LOVE this post Brooke! I need to revamp my food storage in a bad way. It is so fun to look at when you are all done!

Art Show

Tonight was Cooper and Connor's Art Show which displayed all the art work they completed this summer during Rachel Waters' art class. They started about 5 weeks ago and completed a different art project every week. Tonight, family got to come and see their projects on display. It was so fun. Cooper and Connor are very artistic and love to create. Rachel, their art teacher, was awesome. She came up with the cutest projects and helped ignite their creativity. It was a great experience and I'm so proud of their great work!!