Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Beaver Mountain

For Kaiden's 13th birthday, Robb and I decided to take our boys skiing for the first time. We went and stayed in my parents' condo in Bear Lake overnight and got up the next day to go skiing at Beaver Mountain. The night before skiing, my twins were VERY worried. They kept asking a lot of questions concerning injuries and accidents (my children are very cautious). At one point, Cooper said, "What if we hit into a tree with our heads and die or become paralyzed?" I couldn't believe it. My children are What About Bob. I reassured them that everything was going to be fine. A tree was the LAST thing they needed to worry about. So...we got up and headed to Beaver Mountain.

Here we are with all our gear....ready to go. Robb and I decided the best idea would be to pay a couple of ski instructors to spend the first part of the day with the boys teaching them the fundamentals of skiing. Can I just say that was the best money we have ever spent? Here's Kaiden, Cooper and Connor with their ski instructor. He's teaching them the basics....pizza (snowplow) and french fries (parallel). I don't know about you, but I was hungry just listening to him talk.

And Cannon got an AWESOME ski instructor all to himself. At the end of the lesson, he was going down the slope with no problem. It was so fun to watch. After the lessons were over, Robb and I looked at each other because we couldn't believe how PERFECT the day was going. The weather was nice, the boys were picking it up, and they were loving it! We couldn't get them in to eat lunch. Finally, after some coaxing, they inhaled their sandwiches an wanted to go on one more run. So, for the last run of the day, Cooper, Connor and I went together. As we were making our way down the trail, there was a grove of trees of to the right. Before I knew what what happening, Connor said, "Watch Mom," and he disappeared into the trees. I screamed, "Don't go down there," but it was too late. Next thing I knew, Connor had lost all control and ran head first HARD right into a tree. I COULDN'T FREAKING BELIEVE IT!


Cooper automatically started crying hysterically and I rushed to Connor. When I got to him, he was in total shock. He kept saying, "I feel so weird, Mom. I can't feel my body." I thought for sure that he was paralyzed. I turned to Cooper (who was sobbing) and told him to ride down to the lodge and get Dad. I put my body on top of Connor so he wouldn't move because I didn't know if he had broken his neck. He was in total shock and was freaking out. Luckily, the accident happened close to a lift and several people started screaming for ski patrol, so I just laid there on top of Connor till they got there.

Ski patrol was awesome. After they pried me off of him, they checked him out. As they were examining him, I couldn't believe that he actually hit into a tree. It was the LAST thing I thought would ever happen. I know it's sick and twisted, but I had to take a picture of him, so here's Connor as ski patrol was examining him:

And here's ski patrol getting the tabbogan ready to take him to the medic place. (I have always been fascinated with the tabbogan and always wondered who had to actually had to ride in those things. Well, I can now check that off my list....MY SON HAS!)

Once they got him to the medic room, they determined that he had not hit his head, but his chest showed some trauma, so they put him in our car and we drove right to the ER. A few hours and X-Rays later, we found out that Connor kissed that tree hard enough to break his collarbone right where it connects to the sternum. I guess that is one of the worst places to break a collarbone. He was quite a bit of pain and had to sleep sitting up for a week, but I have been amazed at how quickly he has healed. I am also SO VERY VERY THANKFUL that his injuries weren't more serious.

Connor has been awesome about it as well. He never really complained and is already asking to go skiing again. I have to end this incredibly long post with the awesome bruise that came with the break. We tell him how awesome he is because his bruise looks like the symbol on Batman's chest. Pretty freaking sweet.












13 comments:

sav said...

poor kid! at least he wants to try skiing again!

Nancy said...

Ok That's a wicked bruise!! What a boy ready to go Skiing again!! How about you Brooke? you ready for him to go?

Brooke and Justin said...

Oh my Word!! I can not believe that bruise!- And he is smiling in the picture. Maybe he does have some super hero in him.

Mark & Stacie said...

That is really scary! I am so glad he is ok, and that is so cool that he isn't giving up. Mark blew his knee out sking when he was seventeen and had to be toboganed out too. He has never been skiing again.

Richard and Michelle said...

I CAN NOT believe that! Oh man I feel so bad for the kid, but I'm glad that he would like to keep skiing. Besides the minor setback it looks like you guys had fun.

thebarrusfamily said...

WHAT?!?!? I didn't know about any of this! I'm SOOO glad he's all right! It's like they knew what was going to happen.

Happy B-day Kaid!!

The Kelly's said...

Whoa! What a freaking stud. I can't believe he wants to go again. Love the bruise. Man, YOU are TOUGH!

Nate and Nicole said...

Oh my heck I can't believe that! Do you know the names of the Ski Patrol? I might know them...
Hey, have Connor ask Nate about breaking BOTH of his collarbones at the same time......

Tara said...

Loved the blog updates. I'll do the tag later. I updated my blog...just a couple of posts. Love your kids...I think even more than I love you!

Niederfam said...

Bless his little heart, I seriously kept waiting to read JUST KIDDING, but NO, instead a bruised Batman insignia for proof!!!! What luck eh???? But I'm glad it wasn't any worse, and he's feeling better!!! There's ALWAYS something with a house full of boys, right????

Jon & Kim said...

I am so glad he is okay. That is so scarry!

Heidi said...

Brooke! That is the best story! I too kept waiting for you to say "just kidding".. Seriously, though, I was captivated and so was Chris!I'm so glad he's OK!

Zoo Keeper said...

Oh NO!! That is horrible! I am so sorry....Do you remember "water sking" with your dad that time the ski came up and hit you in the head? I think you were super worried about sking before that happened to you!! I think your mom even said that it wouldn't happen...AND IT DID!!! Do you remember? I hope he is getting better! Tanner broke his collarbone wrestling with Chad and he was in sooo much pain!! It was horrible!!

Art Show

Tonight was Cooper and Connor's Art Show which displayed all the art work they completed this summer during Rachel Waters' art class. They started about 5 weeks ago and completed a different art project every week. Tonight, family got to come and see their projects on display. It was so fun. Cooper and Connor are very artistic and love to create. Rachel, their art teacher, was awesome. She came up with the cutest projects and helped ignite their creativity. It was a great experience and I'm so proud of their great work!!